//
you're reading...
Carbon Motors, News

Carbon Motors, Another D.O.E. Victim

Stonewalled & Deceived By DOE Say Staff

“We are outraged by the actions of the DOE and it is clear that this was a political decision in a highly-charged, election year environment,” CEO William Santana Li said in a prepared statement. “Since Solyndra became politicized last fall, the DOE has failed to make any other loans under the ATVM program …”
Li said Anderson-based Bright Automotive, General Motors, Chrysler, Next Auto, Aptera all have been hurt by the DOE’s loan process. Bright called it quits late last month after it gave up on receiving a $450 million DOE loan.
“Each of these applicants has been caught for several years in a costly and extensive DOE due-diligence process,” Li said. “Carbon Motors simply appears to be the last victim of this political gamesmanship.”
The company said it had lined up an additional $200 million in loans based on the DOE loan receiving approval.
Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels said he was “deeply disappointed for the people of Connersville and those who tried to bring this promising business here.”
“It would have been far better if the federal government had never gone into the banking business. Companies like Carbon that might have proceeded and succeeded with a conventional business plan were seduced into wasting irreplaceable years chasing federal subsidies that never happened,” Daniels said.

Department of Energy says ‘no’ to Carbon Motors’ loan request for police car

Carbon Motors E7

 (Carbon Motors)

The police car of the future has hit a major bump in the road.

Carbon Motors announced Wednesday that the Department of Energy has informed the Indiana-based startup automaker that it is no longer considering its $310 million loan application to the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing program.

The company planned to use the money to produce a purpose-built, fuel-efficient law enforcement vehicle called the E7 for police and homeland security use.

Carbon Motors spokesman Stacy Stephens tells FoxNews.com that the company was blindsided by the decision after being engaged in positive discussions with the government agency for the past 30 months, having recently been told by officials that it was “the number one priority of the Department of Energy.”

When Energy Secretary Steven Chu visited Indianapolis on Monday, he told reporters that the department wanted to go forward with the loan but that it has “a responsibility to the taxpayers and they need to make sure it’s written in the statute that there’s a reasonable chance of repayment,” according to WIBC radio.

More on this…

  • Carbon Motors E7

Stephens says that the company has sourced over $200 million in private matching funds as part of the loan requirements and began constructing a new headquarters building in Connersville, Ind., where the car was to be manufactured at a former brownfield site, creating over 1,500 jobs.

The automaker’s CEO, William Santana Li, says his company is outraged by what it calls a “political decision in a highly charged, election-year environment,” caused by the fallout from the bankruptcy of Energy loan recipient Solyndra last fall.

The move by the Energy Department comes one week after another Indiana startup working on a plug-in hybrid van, Bright Automotive, closed down after dropping its pursuit of a similar loan it originally applied for in 2008, saying it could no longer wait for the agency to act on the application.

Read: GM-backed electric car company folds, slams DOE loan process

Carbon Motors has no plans to shut down at this point and says it is “examining strategic and financing alternatives.”

“We were hit right square in the nose from the federal government and need to dust off and regroup,” Stephens says.

Read: Can Carbon Motors survive without government loan

Advertisements

About Community Publishers Alliance

A volunteer community service alliance of non-profit, bi-partisan, free internet publishers and WIKI blogging members of the public, Congress and non-profit human rights organizations. We are supported by over 200M voters and hundreds of pro-bono lawyers and public law firms who will not hesitate to 100% legally terminate any party who is violating our Constitutional rights or censoring our public news, wiki and media sites. Our sites are engaged in no commercial activity and only link to generally known hyperlinks on the web. Any assertion to the contrary is a censorship action which will be actionable.

THE SONY LAWSUIT TEAM COLLABORATION RESOURCE

Enter your email address to follow Updates and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow SONY PICTURES AND OTHER CORRUPT COMPANIES on WordPress.com

SUBMISSIONS, TIPS AND LINKS FROM THE PUBLIC:

Member of The Internet Defense League